Swim Meet Buddies
A core part of our team spirit comes from our long standing tradition of Swim Buddies. Every swimmer is assigned a buddy. Big Buddies are generally 12 & Olders. Little Buddies are 10 & Unders, with a strong emphasis on 8 & Unders or first-year swimmers. Our goal is to have all Little Buddies assisted by Big Buddies at all swim meets.
Buddies are asked to give a small token of encouragement and friendship throughout the season. Most families do some form of encouragement at every meet, but this is not required. It can be a handmade sign, a card, a healthy snack, a favorite candy… any small trinket!
Ideas for buddies
- "favorites" from the form (candy, chips, protein bar, drink)
- Red/Black nail polish
- Playing cards, small game
- Pad of paper, markers, pens or crayons
- Small craft
- Hair clips
- Matchbox cars
- Swim cap
- Water bottles
- Spray bottles
- Quarters for Meet snacks
- Lip gloss
- Anything red/black!
Big Buddy Responsibilities
- Greets Little Buddy at each meet.
- Determines Little Buddy events and heats, and writes that info on Little Buddy's arm
- Congratulates them at end of race and gives them their towel, and walks them to their parents (if necessary)
- Answers any questions and supports the Little Buddy
- Knows that Big Buddies, as teenagers and older Gators, carry a lot of automatic respect from younger swimmers. Little Buddies will be proud to be paired with Big Buddies and will look forward to spotting their faces in a crowded swim meet.
- CHEER CHEER CHEER CHEER CHEER and more CHEERING!!!
- If the Big Buddy is unable to attend a certain meet, they are encouraged to find a sub and let the Little Buddy know about the change.